Best Power Tools Review
When you need power tools it can be difficult to know which tools offer the best value for the money. There are so many choices and some sales people will always try to talk you into buying the most expensive item even if it is not the best. This buying guide is meant to show you the best choices in Drill Drivers, Portable Air Compressors, Polisher, Saw and Mitter Saw, Wet Dry Vacuums and Other Each one of these tools is necessary for a well stocked shop. I have included a review of each tool along with a list of pros and cons so that you can see why I chose each of these tools.
Drill Driver Recommend Product
Porter-Cable PCCK600LB 20-Volt 1/2-inch Lithium Ion Drill/Driver Kit
This is a compact drill that performs better than some full-sized drills. The size allows the drill to fit comfortably into small places; however, don’t let the smaller size fool you. It includes a two-speed gear box. The lithium ion batteries allow this drill to run longer than most rechargeable drills. This drill can handle drilling through wood and metal equally well.
- 1. This kit comes with 2 lithium ion batteries that easily snap on and off the drill. You are able to monitor the battery to see how much charge you have. The charger is great because it shuts off once the battery is charged and if the battery is dead it will show you that by blinking a series of lights.
- 2. This drill has a keyless chuck which works better than some of the keyed chucks. It is very easy to change bits.
- 3. The power is amazing it can handle driving large deck screws and drill through the toughest oak.
- 4. The kit uses magnetic drill bit holders which makes it much easier to grab a new bit than trying to get one out of the usual slots.
- 5. It only weighs 3.5 pounds which makes it a good drill for women and seniors.
- 1. The included LED light is not bright enough.
- 2. Even though it is a compact drill, and shorter than most drills, it is a bit long so it does not always fit into a tight space.
Portable Air Compressors Recommend Product
Bostitch BTFP02011 6-Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Compressor
This portable compressor weighs only 33 pounds so it is easy to pick up and move. The compressor is perfect for finishing projects and trims. The fact that this compressor is oil-free means it does not require maintenance. The control panel is integrated so it does not pick up dirt from the job area.
- 1. It has a great air supply which can last a long time before it needs to refill.
- 2. The hose that comes with the compressor is 15 feet long.
- 3. It has enough PSI to handle any job you ask of it.
- 4. It is quieter than most compressors, but remember it is a compressor so it will not run silently.
- 5. It includes 2 hose connections.
- 1. Sometimes the regulator sticks.
Wet Dry Air Vacuums Recommend Product
PowerSmith PAVC101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum
This ash vacuum is a must if you need to clean ashes out of a wood or pellet stove, a grill, or a fireplace. The filter system not only catches even fine ash particles it is also fire resistant. The metal hose will not be damaged by hot ashes. The 16 foot cord makes it easy to use this as a regular shop vacuum.
- 1. It runs quieter than most shop vacuums.
- 2. The filters work as promised, there is never any dirt or ash blown out of the exhaust system.
- 3. Has an automatic shut off if it becomes too hot from the ash. After it cools down it will work again.
- 4. It goes together quickly and is quite sturdy.
- 5. Has great suction and works great for any shop vacuum job.
- 1. The metal hose is a bit too short.
- 2. Sometimes the hose can become clogged.
Polisher Recommend Product
Makita 9227CX3 7-Inch Hook and Loop Electronic Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit
This polisher has a variable speed control, 600-3000 RPMs and a powerful 10 amp motor. The kit includes the polisher, a hex wrench, hook and loop pad, side and loop handles, a wool pad, a wool bonnet and a carrying case. It is lightweight, only 6.6 pounds. It has a lockable trigger switch so that you can keep it running at one speed. This Makita polisher works equally well to polish a vehicle or stone and also works great as a sander.
- 1. It runs quietly, is easy to use, and polishes a car excellently.
- 2. This polisher never overheats no matter how long you are using it.
- 3. It is also lightweight and easy for seniors to use.
- 4. Because it has a hook and loop pad it is very easy to change the pad quickly.
- 5. This polisher is rugged and stands up to any type of use.
- 1. There is some lag time when you first turn it on.
- 2. Some people are disappointed that it is also called a sander and does not come with anything to make it a sander.
- 3. If you have never used a polisher before on a car it can be a bit tricky to figure out. However, once you get then hang of it you will love how well it works.
Miter Saw Recommend Product
Makita LS1216L 12-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw
This saw is not driven by a belt, instead it is direct drive with a powerful 15-amp motor. You always get precise cuts with this saw because it has a special sliding rail system and linier ball bearings. It includes a laser which does not shut off while you are in the middle of a cut. This allows you to have more accurate cuts than some of the other models.
- 1. The 12 inch saw blade is terrific; the size makes cutting larger molding very easy.
- 2. No matter which angle you set this saw to cut, the cuts are always perfectly square and very clean cut.
- 3. The cut depth adjustment allows you to easily make grooves and then quickly converts back to a full cut.
- 4. This miter saw is very durable and very easy to use.
- 5. It is very easy to change the angle that you want the saw to cut.
- 1. The saw only has one laser so it needs to be moved from side to side depending on which side of the wood you are cutting on.
- 2. The dust collection system is not very good, it should be improved.
This buying guide has offered information, including pros and cons on 5 different power tools that any shop should include in their inventory. The power tools reviewed are the best of the drill drivers, portable air compressor, polisher, saw and miter saw, wet dry vacuums available. You will find any or all of these tools to be a great investment. They are all solidly built and offer great features. They will last for years to come and are easy enough for a beginner to learn and tough enough for a pro to enjoy using them.